*This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links.
My daughter can be a picky eater, but loves pizza and anything pink or heart shaped so today we made heart shaped pizza.
These pizzas were so easy to make and are perfect for Valentine’s Day, birthdays, or any other day for that matter.
I started by making the pizza dough from scratch. You can use store bought dough if it’s easier for you.
To make the heart shaped pizza dough:
In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar.
If you want to be a little healthier you can do half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour.
Heat 1 1/2 cups of water until warm. No more than 110 degrees Fahrenheit or you’ll risk killing the yeast.
I heated the water in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave for 50 seconds.
With the stand mixer operating on medium, gradually add in the warm water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Once the dough forms a ball check to make sure it isn’t too wet or too dry. My dough was too wet so I added in more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until it was soft, but not sticky. If your dough is too dry add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until you get the right consistency.
Knead the dough on a floured surface for a few minutes until smooth. Transfer the dough to a bowl greased with olive oil (approximately 2 teaspoons).
Cover the bowl with saran wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.
I heated my oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, turned it off, then let the dough rise in the warm oven.
Once the dough has risen place it on a floured surface. You can divide the dough into as many pieces as you like. It makes 2 large pizzas so I divided it into thirds.
Making the heart shaped pizza:
Roll or press your dough out onto a baking sheet into the shape of a heart. You can make your crust thin or thick. Remember the dough will puff up in the oven.
Spread your favorite tomato sauce onto the heart shaped pizza dough then sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Top the pizza with seasonings of your choice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, etc.
Instead of a heart shaped pizza for daddy, we made him a traditional pizza topped with sweet soppressata (dry Italian salami).
Bake heart shaped and circular shaped pizza in a preheated oven set to 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Our heart shaped pizza came out crisp and tasty!
Heart Shaped Pizza Recipe
Dough (inspired by Food Network Pizza Dough recipe)
3 1/2 – 4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
Jar of your favorite tomato sauce
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Seasonings of choice
1) Mix together flour (3 1/2 cups), salt, yeast, and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. With machine running on medium speed, add in the warm water and olive oil until dough forms a ball. If dough is too wet, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time. If too dry do the same with water.
2) Once dough is not too sticky, knead on a floured surface until dough is smooth. Place dough into bowl greased with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Cover with saran wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled (1 hour).
3) Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
4) Place dough on a floured surface and divide into desired sizes. Roll/press dough into heart shapes and place onto ungreased baking sheets.
5) Spread desired amount of tomato sauce onto each pizza. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese, desired seasonings, and toppings.
6) Bake heart shaped pizzas in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Enjoy your homemade heart shaped pizza with your loved ones or keep them all for yourself!